New-SelfSignedCertificate

Since makecert is deprecated I have to update instructions for generating certificates for a particular customer using New-SelfSignedCertificate.

While I am able to generate the certificate, I receive the beloved message below when trying to use the certificate:

Invalid algorithm specified.

This is the set of parameters currently being used:

New-SelfSignedCertificate -Subject ‘CN=BridgeTest’ -KeyUsage DataEncipherment -KeyAlgorithm RSA -KeyExportPolicy Exportable -KeySpec Signature -NotAfter (Get-Date).AddYears(20) -HashAlgorithm sha256 -KeyLength 2048

Suggestions as to generate a usable certificate? Also, could you update your documentation to use the new tool.

Thanks,
Alistair.

Hi Alistair
You need to specify the Microsoft Enhanced RSA and AES Cryptographic Provider as this is required to generate SHA-256 signatures.
You need to include -Provider “Microsoft Enhanced RSA and AES Cryptographic Provider”
For example:

-Subject “www.idp.com
-CertStoreLocation cert:\LocalMachine\My
-Provider “Microsoft Enhanced RSA and AES Cryptographic Provider”
-HashAlgorithm SHA256
-KeyLength 2048
-NotAfter 1/1/2050

[quote]
ComponentSpace - 6/10/2017
Hi Alistair
You need to specify the Microsoft Enhanced RSA and AES Cryptographic Provider as this is required to generate SHA-256 signatures.
You need to include -Provider "Microsoft Enhanced RSA and AES Cryptographic Provider"
For example:

-Subject "www.idp.com"
-CertStoreLocation cert:\LocalMachine\My
-Provider "Microsoft Enhanced RSA and AES Cryptographic Provider"
-HashAlgorithm SHA256
-KeyLength 2048
-NotAfter 1/1/2050

[/quote]

Awesome, that works perfectly, so much easier than makecert!

You’re welcome and yes, I agree. :slight_smile: